Rightly Dividing - Just Right

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.  2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV)

This post assumes you are already familiar with the ideas of dispensations and "rightly dividing the word of truth".  If you aren't, search away on Google or YouTube.  Or perhaps begin here: Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth EXPLAINED Correctly! | with Pastor Rodney Beaulieu.  As a disclaimer, I am still working through the concepts listed below.  And I will likely always be, just like you, until we are all brought to unity and maturity (Ephesians 4:9-16).  So bear with me if I make mistakes.  Let's learn from each other.

Perhaps my story might sound like yours.  I was raised in the typical institutional church.  I heard many sermons and Sunday school lessons.  Then, as a teenager, I started reading the Word for myself.  Down the road, I discovered the Hebrew roots of my Savior, "Yeshua", and fell in love with the richness of information from the history and culture of Israel, largely ignored by the institutional church.  Swing went the pendulum!  This phase of my development continued for many years, and was enhanced as I found many on YouTube who could further develop this angle of study.

But the LORD always left a few things unsettled and uncomfortable in my mind.  Like when you pick up a guitar that hasn't been played in a while, and can hear that ONE string is just a tiny fraction out of tune.  You can keep playing the guitar and hope no one notices, and even try to ignore it yourself.  But it is always there until you deal with it.  For me, it began a few years ago when I read Jesus explaining the Parable of the Wedding Banquet (Matthew 22:1-14) and the Parable of the Ten Bridesmaids (Matthew 25:1-13).  Was He talking to the church, the body of Christ?  How could this be reconciled with Paul identifying the church in the age of grace as the wife who submits to her Husband (Ephesians 5:31-32)?  In those parables, the bride is NOT mentioned!  Something had to give.  And for me, it was the beginning of the realization that Jesus earthly ministry was to Israel (Matthew 10:5-6,15:24, Romans 15:8).

And then I found Robert Breaker.  His videos slowly primed my mind to be ready to understand, but for whatever reason, the "aha!" moment didn't come until October 1st, 2018.  I was on my commute home, and in the middle of listening to a YouTube video on 7 Biblical Dispensations, and the light was beginning to come on in my mind.  But I got home before I could finish the video!  After the evening routine wound down, I picked up my phone to finish what I started, but noticed Scott Clark had just released a new video on Rightly Dividing Luke 21:36.  The impeccable timing of the LORD, along with some other special things He did that day, caught my attention in a big way.  I believe the Holy Spirit wanted me to find this, and know its importance.  And after listening to Scott's video, I was pumped.  I felt like I finally had clarity in understanding the Word of God like never before.  And then I found some other proponents of "rightly dividing", subscribed to their YouTube channels, and off I went.  Swing went the pendulum the other way!  And it swung a bit too far for a while.

With the above thoughts as the backdrop, below are my thoughts on rightly dividing.

Rightly Dividing - Not Far Enough

I recommend listening to this short video by Chuck Missler on Dispensations.   Not everything in the Word is written to you.  If you think it is, you will inevitably run into bumps on that road:

The last time you sinned, did you slaughter a goat according to Leviticus 4?  Of course you didn't.  Did you feel guilty for not doing so?  Of course you didn't.  Why not?  Because Leviticus was not written to you.  It was written to Israel during the dispensation of the law.  We are no longer under the law, but under grace (Romans 6:14).  If you aren't convinced, read the book of Galatians.  If you still aren't convinced, read Galatians again.

The previous example is fairly self evident.  But this one may not be.  Have you ever felt fear after reading the True and False Disciples (Matthew 7:21-23) or The Sheep and the Goats judgment (Matthew 25:31-46)?  That if you didn't "do" enough good deeds, or "do" the will of the Father, Jesus might one day tell you, "Depart from me!"?  I've heard well-intentioned pastors quote these verses in the past, instilling fear in all who heard.  I cannot agree with the teaching that Jesus was speaking to the body of Christ in these passages.  During His earthly ministry, He was speaking to Israel (Matthew 10:5-6,15:24, Romans 15:8).  Two different programs.

The apostle whom Jesus sent to the body of Christ, especially if you are a gentile like me, was Paul (Galatians 2:7-9, Romans 11:13, Ephesians 3:1,8).  Peter, James, and John were sent to the Jews (Galatians 2:7-9).  When I first saw this called out in the Word, I no longer felt the burden of trying to reconcile these two verses, because I finally understood they have two different audiences (the 12 tribes - James 1:1, and the gentiles - Galatians 1:13-17):

Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.  James 2:24 (KJV)

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified  Galatians 2:16 (KJV)

This leads to a potentially controversial question:  What is the method of salvation after the age of grace?  That is, during Daniel's 70th Week and the Millennial Kingdom?  Does it include a works component, besides "don't take the mark of the beast"?  Many "right dividers" believe the primary audience for the books of Hebrews through Revelation are the Jewish believers in Christ after the body if Christ is taken away.  If that idea is correct, then we don't need to reconcile Paul and James.  Let the plain text speak for itself.  I have heard attempts to reconcile them otherwise, but more on that in a moment.

Rightly Dividing - Too Far

What about when the pendulum swings too far?  Here are some teachings that make me uncomfortable, and reasons why.

"Old Testament prophecy concerns Israel ONLY."

Yikes!  Too far!  To adopt this view, you must ignore every single time Paul quoted the Old Testament and applied it to the body of Christ.  There are so many examples of this, I don't even know where to begin.  Here's a random one I picked because it was already up in one of my browser tabs:

But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it. 8 This is why it says:
“When he ascended on high,
    he took many captives
    and gave gifts to his people.”  Ephesians 4:7-8 (NIV)

Here Paul quotes Psalm 68:18 and explains how it applies to the body of Christ in the verses following.  Other obvious examples: Romans 14:10-12, 15:7-13,21-22, Galatians 4:21-31.

"The sign-gifts were for the Jews only.  They are no longer given to the body of Christ during the age of grace."

Yikes!  Too far!  Why did Paul dedicate 3 chapters to it (1 Corinthians 12-14)?  Though I totally understand and admit the following:
  • Many (most?) people are not really speaking in tongues
  • There's plenty of wannabe (false!) prophets out there
  • Many "miraculous" healings are total fakery
But, gosh... can we really say that ALL OF THESE are fake?  Do you really think Ravi Zacharias is lying about being healed?  I'm not ready to say the Holy Spirit does not perform any miraculous workings of power in this age.  Though I was raised in a mostly Holy-Spirit-ignorant denomination, I've personally seen some amazing demonstrations of the power of the Spirit in my own life, in the lives of some of my family members, and in the lives of some of my close friends.  And I have hopeful expectation of more to come.  But most of it didn't occur until after the LORD brought me into a position of dependence and surrender (Romans 12:1-2) through acute emotional suffering.

Paul attests to the power of the Spirit to work miracles in this age:

You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. 2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh? 4 Have you experienced so much in vain—if it really was in vain? 5 So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard?  Galatians 3:1-5 (NIV)

And if they were only for the Jews, then what about Paul visiting the pagan island of Malta and healing ALL their sick?  Toward the END of his ministry while alive on earth?

Once safely on shore, we found out that the island was called Malta. 2 The islanders showed us unusual kindness. They built a fire and welcomed us all because it was raining and cold. 3 Paul gathered a pile of brushwood and, as he put it on the fire, a viper, driven out by the heat, fastened itself on his hand. 4 When the islanders saw the snake hanging from his hand, they said to each other, “This man must be a murderer; for though he escaped from the sea, the goddess Justice has not allowed him to live.” 5 But Paul shook the snake off into the fire and suffered no ill effects. 6 The people expected him to swell up or suddenly fall dead; but after waiting a long time and seeing nothing unusual happen to him, they changed their minds and said he was a god.
7 There was an estate nearby that belonged to Publius, the chief official of the island. He welcomed us to his home and showed us generous hospitality for three days. 8 His father was sick in bed, suffering from fever and dysentery. Paul went in to see him and, after prayer, placed his hands on him and healed him. 9 When this had happened, the rest of the sick on the island came and were cured.  Acts 28:1-9 (NIV)

"Shook the snake off into the fire"... wow.  That just hit me.  I believe this "shaking" of the enemy to a fire down below is prophetic.  Keep on reading, and look for a bad guy being "shaken" downward, ultimately headed to judgment.

And here's probably the most obvious reference:

Therefore I glory in Christ Jesus in my service to God. 18 I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me in leading the Gentiles to obey God by what I have said and done— 19 by the power of signs and wonders, through the power of the Spirit of God...  Romans 15:17-19 (NIV)

Rightly Dividing - Just Right

Here's where I've landed at the moment: I am so grateful for being exposed to dispensationalism, right-division, and the like.  It is freeing.  It is the most consistent doctrinal lens I've ever worn.

Relationship Trumps Knowledge

But just like all nuggets of knowledge the Spirit gives out - it cannot, and must not replace our relationship with our Father in heaven, with Christ through the Spirit.  Grabbing ahold of ANYTHING (even a pet doctrine!) more tightly than the LORD Himself will prove destructive.  You can watch this play itself out in online personalities.  I typically see it demonstrated through a combination of arrogance and repetition... that is, speaking about (insert "thing" here) thing way too much.  Before you know it, they end up down the wrong path and are unable to see it.  They might speak the truth (or not!), but their disposition tends to lack love.  LORD, have mercy!

I have noticed that insights given by the Spirit seem to always be "just enough".  Where there's always some portion that is incomplete, requiring You to stay close to the LORD as He works it out with you.  Can you guess why?  I believe it is because as much as He wants to give you knowledge, He wants YOU more... your very self, in relationship with Him (Genesis 3:9, Romans 12:1-2).

Dividing Just Deeply Enough

So.  Yes.  By all means, rightly divide the word of truth.  Don't think you are saved by works.  Don't steal all of Israel's earthly promises.  But this doesn't mean that books written to their target audiences in other ages are useless to us now.  Quite the contrary (Romans 15:4).  Some things OBVIOUSLY extend beyond their current age:

You shall not murder.  Exodus 20:13

And what about the connection between the The Vine and the Branches (John 15:1-17) and The Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?  I don't think that was an accident.  So we need to be cautious, and work it out with the LORD.

I believe the non-Pauline books are intended to have a spiritual application for us.

A quick aside.  Gosh.  "Spiritual application"?  Did I really just write that?  Amazing.  To God be the glory.  If you could have only known me 10+ years ago.  I used to be so arrogant about the Jewishness of all things related to Christ.  I started going down the path of thinking the LORD would be more pleased with me if I kept some of His holy days.  Praise His name that He pulled me away from that!  What freedom I have now (Acts 15:28-29)!  I used to be constantly annoyed by the "spiritualization" of scripture, and yet here I am full circle.  How incredibly ironic is this?  Many who do not rightly divide inevitably end up "spiritualizing" the scriptures that are tough to digest anyway.  Perhaps this was the very thing God intended from the beginning.  Ha!

Recently, the potential for spiritual application in the Old Testament has vastly exceeded my wildest imagination.  It has been absolutely beautiful to see it in this context.  I hope you see it the same way, and are as encouraged as I have been.  Here's what I mean - a lens to put on as you read the Word, a background thought to maintain:

All the non-Pauline books of scripture may have a dual nature.  While they are written to Israel, and describe the history of Israel on earth, they also simultaneously hint at the history of the body of Christ being prepared for heaven.

The weight of what I'm trying to say may not be immediately evident.  So let's focus on just a few things.

The Exodus, Desert, & Promised Land
In addition to being prophetic of another such event for Israel, this also describes our exodus from the world (salvation), our trials in the world (sanctification), and our exit out of the world (death/rapture) to take our promised land (heavenly Jerusalem).  Think about the history of how the LORD worked with Israel to take Canaan.  The land was already promised to them, but they had to fight powerful, giant beings.  Think about all their battles with the surrounding nations, and how the LORD miraculously saved them (Joshua 6, 2 Chronicles 20, etc.).  Think about how they were told to utterly destroy the enemy at times.  Now... hold those thoughts and read these:

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  Ephesians 6:12

Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!  1 Corinthians 6:3

In that day the Lord will punish
    the powers in the heavens above
    and the kings on the earth below.  Isaiah 24:21

Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. 8 But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven. 9 The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.  Revelation 12:7-9

Do you see the connection?  Even more heavenly "shake" references here: Haggai 2:6,21, Hebrews 12:26, Isaiah 13:13,24:21, Luke 21:26.  If correct, the mind-blowing realization is that our heavenly land inheritance is still occupied by our true enemy.  Our taking this land would occur after we are transformed and raptured to the LORD's side.  Maybe that's part of what will occur between the rapture and the middle of the 70th week?  Maybe our current struggle against rulers/authorities/powers/forces in the heavenly realms could be compared to Israel's battles pre-Canaan in Numbers 21-36?

The Psalms
All of David's Psalms were written to those in the age of the law.  Or were they?  David fleeing from Saul/Absalom seems to foreshadow the remnant of Israel fleeing from the false messiah during the great tribulation.  But there is application for us as well.  Keeping in mind Paul's explanation that our real battles are against our heavenly enemies, I recommend rereading all the Psalms.  Every time you see how distraught David was over his enemies hating him and wanting his death, think about your current struggles, and your true heavenly enemies who hate you and want to destroy you.  Are not David's feelings the same as ours?  We are promised ultimate victory in Christ, but we still have to walk through it.

1 Lord my God, I take refuge in you;
    save and deliver me from all who pursue me,
2 or they will tear me apart like a lion
    and rip me to pieces with no one to rescue me.  Psalm 7:1-2

2 I trust in you;
    do not let me be put to shame,
    nor let my enemies triumph over me.
19 See how numerous are my enemies
    and how fiercely they hate me!
20 Guard my life and rescue me;
    do not let me be put to shame,
    for I take refuge in you.  Psalm 25:2,19-20

Others
There are many other examples in the Word.  In fact, I wasn't the first who used this lens.  Paul was explicit in Galatians 4 about applying Isaiah 54 to the body of Christ (at least in part!).  I remember a few years ago when the Revelation 12 Sign was wildly popular, I couldn't quite reconcile the link between Revelation 12 and Isaiah 66 that others were describing.  I explicitly asked the LORD for help understanding.  Then, at some point in 2018, Galatians 4 hit me between the eyes:

21 Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23 His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a divine promise.

24 These things are being taken figuratively: The women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. 25 Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. 27 For it is written:

“Be glad, barren woman,
    you who never bore a child;
shout for joy and cry aloud,
    you who were never in labor;
because more are the children of the desolate woman
    than of her who has a husband.”

28 Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 At that time the son born according to the flesh persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now.

There is much to write on this, but it will have to wait for another post.

Lastly, when it comes to pointy parts of scripture like James 2:24, most believers who are not strict about right division will try to harmonize spiritually in some way.  The argument usually goes something like this: "If you are a true believer, your faith WILL produce works."  Fair enough.  I think I agree with that statement.  And then it is best to just leave it all to the LORD.  He will sort it out in all of us (John 16:13, 1 Corinthians 2:16).  Remember: relationship trumps knowledge.  This equally applies to our earthly friendships.

Conclusion

I pray this was helpful to someone.  These are exciting times in which we live.  I've seen more revelation being given to the body of Christ in the past few years than in my entire lifetime.  It is so encouraging and fascinating to watch the LORD work the same things into many people concurrently and independently.  I can only assume this is happening on an even broader scale, and I think this is all connected with the final developmental phase of the body of Christ before our departure: being brought to unity and maturity (Ephesians 4:9-16).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings, Priests, and Judges: Our Tribulation Destiny

The Church Age Foreshadowed in the Feeding of the 5000

Women, Widows, and the 70th Week